SAIC Laptop Program
Conditional Sale Agreement
At the time you pick up your laptop, you will be asked to sign the SAIC Laptop Program Conditional Sale Agreement. To help streamline this process, we recommend that read and sign this agreement in advance.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are under 18, your parent or guardian must also sign the agreement.
TO PRINT: Click here or the link at the left to download and print a PDF.
Date: ____________ ("Effective Date")
Student Name: ____________("Student")
Student Address: ____________
SAIC Student Number: ____________
"Equipment" as used in this Agreement means the following:
Description: MacBook Pro 15-inch: 2.4GHz
Equipment Fee: __________ due on or before ________ or ________ installment payments of _______ due _____________ ("Initial Equipment Payment(s)") and a final payment of $10.00 as defined below in section 2b ("Final Equipment Payment").
Please read the following pages carefully before signing this document. This is a legally binding contract and must be signed before the Laptop Computer is delivered to you.
This SAIC Laptop Program Conditional Sale Agreement is entered into on the Effective Date between the Student and the Art Institute of Chicago d/b/a the School of the Art Institute of Chicago ("SAIC").
The primary purpose of the SAIC Laptop Program is to provide students enrolled at SAIC with access to laptop computers, particular software network resources and computer support services to facilitate education and artistic endeavors consistent with the educational objectives of SAIC. Please visit http://www.saic.edu/laptop for a description of the SAIC Laptop Program. The privilege of using the computing resources provided by SAIC is not transferable or extendible by students to people or groups outside SAIC and terminates when a student no longer meets the eligibility requirements below.
SAIC will provide the Equipment identified above to you under the following terms and conditions:
1. Eligibility. You must be a student at SAIC in a degree program and enrolled in six (6) or more degree credit hours in the Fall and Spring semesters of each academic year. Students who take an authorized Leave of Absence may remain enrolled in the SAIC Laptop Program provided that the Leave of Absence does not exceed two consecutive semesters. Students who are not eligible for the SAIC Laptop Program will be terminated from the Program.
2. Conditional Sale. This is a conditional sale agreement. You agree to pay the Equipment Fee as set forth above according to the schedule set forth above.
a. The Initial Equipment Payment(s) entitle you to possess and use the Equipment as long as you meet the conditions of eligibility set forth in Section 1; however, SAIC retains ownership of, and title to, the Equipment until receipt of the Final Equipment Payment and the end of your enrollment at SAIC. This arrangement allows SAIC to offer its students favorable prices on both hardware and software obtained from its vendors.
b. The Final Equipment Payment is due when your enrollment at SAIC ends, whether upon graduation, withdrawal or any other reason. As noted above, for those students who take an authorized Leave of Absence, their participation in the SAIC Laptop Program will be terminated in the event that the Leave of Absence exceeds two consecutive semesters. At such time, the Final Equipment Payment will be due and owing and SAIC will provide you with a Bill of Sale transferring the Equipment to you and you will own the Equipment.
3. Maintenance and Repairs.
a. Upon taking possession of the Equipment, the Student assumes sole responsibility to appropriately use, care for and maintain the Equipment.
b. The Equipment and accompanying software is provided by SAIC on an "as is" basis. Warranty coverage from the manufacturer for the Equipment will be extended to the Student under the terms and conditions of the manufacturer's warranty. The manufacturer's warranty, called "AppleCare Protection Plan", is limited to three years from July 21, 2010, and generally covers defects in materials or workmanship of the Equipment. Visit http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html for the applicable terms and conditions. In the event that the manufacturer's warranty does not cover the cost of a repair, for whatever reason, the Student shall be solely responsible for the cost of the repair. By way of illustration, but not as a complete list, the manufacturer's warranty does not cover:
i. Damage caused by accident, abuse, neglect, or misuse;
ii. Damage due to normal wear and tear; or
iii. Lost or stolen Equipment.
4. Lost or Stolen Equipment.
a. Upon taking possession of the Equipment, the Student assumes sole responsibility for loss, whether due to damage, loss, theft or other cause, of the Equipment. Student is advised to obtain personal property insurance to protect his/her Equipment. You may want to consider covering the Equipment under your or your parent's homeowners or renter's insurance policy. For your information and convenience, National Student Services, Inc., provides student personal property insurance; visit www.nssinc.com for more information. You are fully responsible for the cost of the Equipment in the event of loss.
5. Exchanges or Refunds.
a. You may return your Equipment within fourteen (14) days of the Effective Date for exchange in the event the Equipment or any part of it is not functioning properly or defective.
b. Students will not be entitled to a refund of any Equipment Fees paid for any reason.
6. Student Responsibilities. You are required to comply with the following:
a. the Acceptable Use of Network and Computing Resources at the Art Institute of Chicago and the School of the Art Institute, https://startit.artic.edu/kb/artic/general/aup.html as well as with all applicable SAIC policies, including those set forth in the Student Handbook. Students are authorized to use the Equipment for incidental personal, non-commercial, use, provided that such use does not interfere with the educational objectives of SAIC or overload network resources, thereby denying it to others;
b. the applicable vendor software license agreements. Copies of applicable agreements are available at http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/. You agree that you understand and agree to comply with the applicable software license agreements. You shall not make unauthorized copies or derivatives of any software under any circumstances. Duplication of licensed software for any purpose except for backup and archival purposes or when otherwise specifically authorized is prohibited. All software must be lawfully purchased or acquired.
c. As set forth in the Acceptable Use of Network and Computing Resources at the Art Institute of Chicago and the School of the Art Institute policy, use of computer systems and databases shall be limited to the purpose(s) for which access is granted.
d. Except as authorized by United States law and the laws of the jurisdiction in which the Equipment and software was obtained, you may not use or otherwise export or reexport the Equipment or any software provided by SAIC. The Equipment and software provided by SAIC may not be used or otherwise exported or reexported (i) into (or to a national or resident of) any United States embargoed country or (ii) to anyone in the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce's Denied Persons or Entity List. By using the Equipment and software provided by SAIC, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list. You also agree that you will not use the Equipment or software provided by SAIC for any purpose prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.
e. Users do not own accounts on the SAIC network, but are granted the privilege of use. Under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (18 U.S.C. § 2510 et seq.), system administrators or other campus employees may access user files in the normal course of their employment when necessary to protect the integrity of the computer systems or the rights or property of the institution. For example, system administrators may examine or make copies of files that are suspected of misuse or that have been corrupted or damaged. User files may be subject to search by law enforcement agencies under court order if such files contain information that may be used as evidence in a court of law. In addition, student files on SAIC computer systems may be considered "educational records" under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (20 U.S.C. §1232(g)).
7. Security Interest. Student grants to SAIC a security interest in the Equipment to secure payment of the balance of the Equipment Fee, which security interest shall remain in effect until the Final Equipment Payment is made, the Equipment has been paid in full, and the Student is no longer enrolled at SAIC. In the event of any default under this Agreement by Student, SAIC shall have all of the rights of a secured party pursuant to the Illinois Uniform Commercial Code.
8. Term and Termination.
a. Term. The term of this Agreement shall begin on the Effective Date and terminate when the Student has paid the Final Equipment Payment and ceases to be enrolled in the SAIC Laptop Program based on the "Eligibility" requirements set forth above in Section 1, unless the Agreement is terminated earlier as set forth below.
b. Early Termination.
i. Non-Payment. If the Student fails to timely pay the Equipment Fee according to the schedule set forth above, SAIC may, in its sole discretion, (1) terminate Student's participation in the SAIC Laptop Program, including, but not limited to, terminating Student's access to the SAIC network; (2) accelerate all payments due under this Agreement rendering full payment of the Equipment Fee immediately due and payable; and/or (3) recover from Student all costs (including, but not limited to attorney's fees or collection agency fees) incurred as a result of the premature termination of this Agreement.
ii. Violation of Terms and Conditions. If Student violates any term or condition of this Agreement, including repeated minor infractions of the policies and terms set forth in Section 6, SAIC may terminate this Agreement and/or take any of the following actions, in its sole discretion:
1. terminate Student's participation in the SAIC Laptop Program, including, but not limited to, terminating Student's access to the SAIC network;
2. accelerate all payments due under this Agreement rendering full payment of the Equipment Fee immediately due and payable;
3. recover from Student all costs (including, but not limited to attorney's fees or collection agency fees) incurred as a result of the premature termination of this Agreement.
If upon a violation of any term or condition of this Agreement, SAIC chooses not to terminate the Agreement and/or take any of the above actions, such action or inaction by SAIC is not a waiver of SAIC's right to take such action in the future upon any additional violations of this Agreement.
iii. By way of illustration and not of limitation, the following violations may result in SAIC's early termination of this Agreement: if the Student extends computing resources to unauthorized users, attempts to steal passwords or data, engages in unauthorized use or copying of licensed software, engages in unauthorized attachment of personal computers to SAIC network, or unauthorized use of another's account, or overloads network resources thereby denying it to others.
iv. SAIC will not be liable to the Student and no payments made for the Equipment will be refunded if network access and/or use of the Equipment is denied due to violations or infractions of the terms and conditions of this Agreement or any SAIC computer use policies, whether or not such infractions are mentioned in this Agreement.
9. Indemnification. To the fullest extent permitted by law, Student agrees to defend, indemnify and hold SAIC harmless from any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of action, damages, expenses, losses, or liabilities, including reasonable attorneys' fees and including, without limitation, claims of negligence against SAIC, arising in any way from or out of the Student's possession or use of the Equipment and accompanying software and/or arising out of Student's breach of this Agreement or violation of SAIC policies.
10. Miscellaneous. (i) This Agreement sets forth the entire understanding of the parties hereto and supersedes all prior agreements, whether written or oral, regarding the subject matter hereof; (ii) this Agreement may not be amended or modified except in a writing signed by each of the parties hereto; (iii) neither party shall assign this Agreement or its rights and duties hereunder, or any interest herein, without prior written consent of the other party; (iv) this Agreement shall be construed according to the laws of the State of Illinois, without regard to its conflict of law provisions; (v) if any term or provision of this Agreement shall be found to be void or contrary to law, such term or provision shall, but only to the extent necessary to bring this Agreement within the requirements of law, be deemed to be severed from the other terms and provisions hereof and the remainder of this Agreement shall be given effect as if the parties had not included the severed term; and (vi) this Agreement shall be binding on each party's heirs, successors-in-interest, and permitted assigns.
By signing this Agreement, I agree to all the terms and conditions set forth in this document. I understand that I am responsible for the Equipment if it is lost or stolen.
Print Name: ____________________________
If Student is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must read and sign the Agreement. As the parent or legal guardian of the Student, I have read and agree to the SAIC Laptop Program Conditional Sale Agreement. I understand that I may be held legally responsible for the terms, including the financial obligations, as provided in this Agreement.
Signature of Parent or Legal Guardian: ____________________________
Print Name: ____________________________
Accepted and Agreed:
THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO,
d/b/a THE SCHOOL OF THE ART
INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO